Monday, January 4, 2010

Final for Colory Theory

For the Final I used this image:



Along with this artist statement:

For my final project I intended to come up with a design that would “take you away” from the everyday stresses that we face. By using color combinations and effects that were introduced in the last five weeks of study, along with the other courses that I have covered since starting my adventure at AI-online.

I feel that I have met the goals I intended to accomplish with the design that I have submitted. I feel the design gives off a peaceful feeling; therefore one could escape from the pressures of the day when looking at it. I have used Blues to invoke thoughts of fantasy with peace and sensitivity, and violet for its playfulness, as our reading for this week explained.

When looking at the design your eyes are drawn into the center by the pointing of the stars and diamonds into the whirlpool effect of the background. Variety comes in with the different colorings of the stars, having opposites across from each other, for a different look at the same colors. Contrast is shown by the two different rings seeming to be layered over each other. And balance is found in the circular form of the design.

The color harmonies that I used in this design are; analogous 2 for the stars, split-complementary for the diamonds, and pentagram for the background. You can see the transparency in the layered star (polygon) in the center; I gave the top layer a twist and opacity of 84%. Depth is noticed with the spiral and the stars seeming to be pulled into it. And vibration occurs if you concentrate on the center of the design; the diamonds seem to move slightly. Overall the design has a peaceful aura that one could look at all day and let your mind wonder.

The challenges that I encountered were to get the design balanced with a good effect of depth. I feel I was able to get a balanced effect using a few different color schemes together within the design, by using the illustrator color schemes board as a starting point. I then went to Photoshop and played with different effects until I found one that looked just right to me, for the layout of the stars and diamonds as well as the background.

At this point I really do not see anything that could have been improved more than I have done. But that does not mean that there is not room for improvement, in classes to come I may learn something else that I could have used on this design. I have heard that designs are an ongoing process, they can change daily.

Jacqueline

No comments: